Too many tomatoes and short on time!? Then this Instantpot Tomato Soup Recipe will be your best friend. It calls for minimal ingredients, and it whips up in a flash with help from an Instantpot. The ultimate in comfort food, this recipe will leave everyone wanting seconds.
Most summers, we have an abundance of tomatoes. This instantpot tomato soup is one of our most favorite ways to use up tomatoes. Not only is the recipe quick, but it’s a great way to use over ripe tomatoes when we have too many on hand. Plus, it requires minimal ingredients which is great for last minute dinner plans. And it’s made in the Instantpot – what isn’t there to love?!
First up, you’ll need tomatoes. Lots and lots of ripe, red tomatoes.
Next, grab a few garlic cloves, a sweet onion, veggie or chicken broth, olive oil, a handful of fresh basil, and heavy cream.
The heavy cream is optional, but trust us – you won’t want to omit it. It really elevates the soup and adds dimension, plus, it makes it so creamy! So, add as much (or as little) of it as you like.
Chop the garlic and the onion. Don’t worry about cutting them consistently – they’ll all get blended together in the end. Turn on the Instapot and heat the oil. Once it’s hot, toss in the garlic and onion. Sauté until tender, then toss in the tomatoes.
Add broth and a handful of basil.
Now. Take a deep breathe. Inhale. That’s the smell of summer. Seriously. How divine is tomato and basil?! Such a perfect summer pairing.
Cook in sauté mode for 30 minutes. Bring everything to a soft boil. Once everything has been cooking for 30 minutes, use an immersion blender to blend the soup and you’re done.
Perfection – and it’s so easy!
Tomato soup is such great comfort food. It’s great with chopped basil on top and a dollop of cream. You could even sprinkle parmesan on top. Grill up cheese sandwiches or make a side salad, and you’ve got yourself meal! Need more options to pair with this?! Try our amazing greek salad or grilled cheese sandwich!
A few notes about Instatpot Tomato Soup Recipe…
- Yes, you can totally freeze this soup!! Freeze this soup before you add the cream, since the cream won’t freeze well. Just toss whatever you want to freeze into a freezer safe jar. Our favorite container is called the Stasher bag. According to their site, it’s freezer safe AND oven safe! How cool is that?! So, grab one of these, fill it, seal it tight and stand it up right in your freezer. When it’s the middle of winter and you’re craving something fresh and summery, defrost it. Heat it up on the stove, and then add the cream before serving!
- Add croutons, cheese, or a dollop of sour cream to make this recipe more glamorous!! My favorite cheese to pair with this Instatpot Garden Tomatoes Soup recipe is Trader Joe’s creamy Tuscano Pepper cheese. Parmesan is also a classic option to pair with this soup.
Instantpot Tomato Soup Recipe
- Pressure Cooker
- 7-8 chopped large tomatoes
- 3-4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup broth (veggie or chicken)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil
- Turn the Instapot on the sautee mode and heat the olive oil.
- Once hot, add garlic, onions, and tomatoes. Sautee until tender.
- Toss in broth and basil.
- Sautee for 30 minutes and then use immersion blender to blend.
- Serve and garnish! Enjoy.