Ted Lasso can bake. Not only does Ted Lasso bake boss biscuits, but he also bakes a little treat for Higgins in the first season, episode 9. We’ve recreated the recipe for Ted Lasso’s Higgins’ mini cupcakes!!
How many of you have wondered what’s in the gold box that Ted gave Higgins at the end of Season 1 Episode 9? I wanted to know so I watched Ted Lasso again, and again, and again. And, during this time, I rewind, pause, rewind, pause repeatedly, zoom in… and finally discovered what’s in the gold box. Ted baked and packaged some cupcakes that were originally meant for Trent Crimm’s soon-to-be 3 years old daughter, but ultimately shared them with Higgins. I don’t know about you, but I’d be pretty bummed if I were that 3 year old daughter because Ted’s baking is off the charts.
I originally thought they were homemade biscuits topped with frosting & sprinkles. But when I paused it (and watched, and paused, and rewound, and paused again), I noticed Higgins was showing Rebecca the inside of the box and said “Yeah, these are definitely for a little girl.” That’s when I saw a little cupcake liner underneath the frosting decoration! (Check out S1E9 28:29!)
Yup – they are definitely cupcakes. Three mini cupcakes that fit in a gold box, which is similar to Rebecca’s pink box.
This had us wondering: were these cupcakes as famously amazing as Rebecca’s biscuits? What type of cupcake would Ted create?! Which is why we couldn’t resist recreating them. So, without further ado, here is our recipe for Ted Lasso’s Higgins’ mini cupcakes recipe!
Ted Lasso’s Higgins’ Mini Cupcakes Recipe :
First, we made mini vanilla cupcakes. This is the recipe for very moist and delicious vanilla cupcakes that I adapted from here. I ended up reducing the amount of sugar by 1/4 cup, changed the type of oil and used real vanilla extract. You’ll find our adjustments below.
Ingredients are :
- Unsalted butter
- Eggs – room temperature
- Sour Cream
- Avocado Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Cake Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Whole Milk
I used a stand mixer but a hand mixer should also work. Onward!
First, beat the butter, salt, and sugar until combined at medium-high speed.
Then, add eggs, sour cream, vanilla and oil to the mixer and continue to blend. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together – flour, baking powder and baking soda. Reduce the speed to low and add dry ingredients and keep mixing until well-combined, but don’t over mix it!
Last you’ll want to slowly add milk and mix well for about 1-2 min.
Fill pre-lined mini cupcake pans with a scoop of batter – about 2/3 full. One scoop of this small size cookie scoop is the perfect amount.
Pop into the pre-heated oven at 350F and bake for 15 minutes! If you’re unsure, stick a toothpick in the center of a cupcake. It should come out clean if the cupcakes have finished baking.
Frosting Recipe :
This is our basic butter cream frosting recipe that we use for sugar cookies and cupcakes. We love our creamy and smooth it is, with the perfect amount of vanilla.
I used hand mixer for these photos since I only needed a small amount of frosting.
Cream butter until smooth. Then, add water, vanilla and salt and mix until well-combined. Lastly, slowly add powder sugar, 1/4 at a time, and mix well. Now the frosting is ready!
Decorate cupcake with frosting and sprinkles!
Once the cupcakes are completely chilled and your frosting is ready, let’s decorate! Using our most favorite tool ever, the offset spatula, spread the frosting on the cupcake tops. Next, sprinkle them with cute sprinkles! They are just like Higgins’ cupcakes that are “definitely for a little girl!” Though someone really should tell Higgins’ that cupcakes are for everyone!!
Gold box for Higgins’ mini cupcakes (Free Download)
Cute cupcakes are finished but something is still missing.
Ah! Mini gold box! So we made it.
Here is the link to download free printable! Enjoy and share your photos with us on Instagram, using #tedlassoboxbysalt & @saltharvestcreatives!!!
Rebecca’s biscuits and Higgins’ mini cupcakes from Ted Lasso season 1.
Awwwwwww. They are perfect treats for Ted Lasso fans, like us!
Our favorite tools and ingredients to bake cupcakes (affiliate links):
- 4.5″ offset spatula – This is a handy tool for baking and decoration! We strongly recommend to have one or two on hand at all times! Amazon has the best deal! If you like dishwasher safe, there is the one with plastic handle!
- Cooling rack – Here’s a basic cooling rack from our favorite baking brand Nordic Ware, but when we’re feeling fancy, we use our gold cooling rack.
- This is one of my favoritesvanilla extract!
- Mini muffin pans – Nordic ware is one of the best baking brand! Highly recommended!
- Mini cupcake liners
- OXO small cookie scoop – It is difficult to fill in mini muffin cups but this scoop makes it so easy!!
- You need cute sprinkles! This sprinkle works great for Valentine’s day gift!
Our favorite tools and materials to make DIY boxes (affiliate links):
- 110lb paper weight to print box template
- We love this very handy paper cutter called Fingertip Detail Knife. This can be a game changer when you do paper crafts! It helps you cut tiny angles and small details!
- A scoring tool makes folding easier and will help get a solid fold, when folding something heavy like cardstock.
- In case you don’t have one, here is a glue stick…
- I use this Kraft color parchment paper. I simply cut into small size to lay inside a box. It works to keep the oil away from the box itself!
- Do you need some weight to hold the lid? Here is the same bubble doll that Ted used in the show!
See other Ted Lasso inspired posts!
This scrumptious, buttery biscuit is similar to Scottish Shortbread, a surprisingly easy to make…October 1, 2020
The pink box that Ted Lasso uses to pack his secret, home-baked biscuits. You…October 19, 2020
This Bridgerton inspired Lavender and Rose Tea Recipe is akin to taking a stroll…January 18, 2021
*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience and to support the cost of operating this blog. Thanks for looking!
Ted Lasso’s mini cupcakes for Higgins (actually for Trent Crimm’s 3yo daughter)
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Mini muffin pan
- Mini cupcake liner
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter (soften at room temperature)
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs (room temperature)
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Avocado or Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ¾ cup Cake Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ⅔ cup Milk
Frosting & Sprinkles
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter
- 1-1 ½ tbsp Water
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 ¼ cup Powder Sugar
Mini Cupcake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cream unsalted butter & sugar until smooth using a stand mixer or hand mixer at medium ~ high speed.
- Add eggs, sour cream, oil and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix together until combined.
- Reduce the speed to low and add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Gradually add milk and mix until smooth.
- Fill pre-lined mini cupcake pans with a scoop of batter – about 2/3 full. One scoop of this small size cookie scoop is the best amount.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 350F.
- Chill completely before decorating with frosting.
- Cream butter until smooth with stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Add water, vanilla extract and salt and mix well.
- Slowly add powder sugar (1/4 at a time) and mix at low speed. Repeat until all the sugar is combined.
Look what Ted Lasso fans made!!!
Please tag us @saltharvestcreatives on instagram and we will share your beautiful and yummy Ted Lasso’s biscuits post on our website!!!