There is something so basic and comforting about flaky biscuits paired with sausage and gravy. This biscuits and gravy breakfast casserole has several layers: the biscuit layer, topped with the gravy layer and then the egg layer, and topped again with more cheese. This recipe takes a southern breakfast staple and transforms it into a hearty and crowd pleasing breakfast casserole.
Biscuit and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
- casserole dish, xxxxxx
- butter, for greasing
- 1 can 8 biscuits (16 ounce can)
sausage and gravy layer
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/3 cups while milk
- 2 cups shredded mild cheese
scrambled egg mixture
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste.
- Set oven to 350 and place rack in the middle.
- Butter the casserole dish, and place uncooked biscuits inside the dish. Set to the side.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium high heat for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once sausage is cooked, melt the butter with the sausage. Whisk in flour, and continue stirring until incorperated, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to medium, and very slowly add the milk, continuing to whisk. Allow milk to thicken as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the sausage and gravy over and around the biscuits.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the gravy and biscuits and set to the side.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, and hot sauce together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour egg mixture over and around the biscuits.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes, until biscuits have risen and the cheese is melted.