Fennel is an intriguing vegetable with a uniquely anise flavor. While it’s a fun and unexpected vegetable to integrate into meals, the fennel really steals the show in this vibrant salad. For this fennel and spring mix salad recipe, we mix spring lettuce with sunflower seeds, avocado, marinated artichoke hearts, grated Parmesan and garbanzo beans together, and then top with thinly sliced fennel. Chopped tarragon in the dressing yields a slightly sweet and different anise flavor to the homemade champagne vinaigrette, which compliments the nutty parmesan and garbanzo beans. Serve this spring salad with fennel for yourself or for friends as either a side or a main meal.
Spring Salad with Fennel
- 6 cups spring mix
- 1/4 cup raw sunflowers
- 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup marinated artichokes with oil
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 cups grated parmesean cheese
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon, about 4 sprigs
- 4 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- Toss the spring lettuce mix in a bowl, and top with sunflowers, chopped avocado, artichokes, garbanzo beans, fennel, and parmesean cheese. Set to the side.
- To make the dressing, whisk all ingredients together and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Toss salad with the dressing and enjoy!